"Quid Rides? De te fabula narratur." Horácio.

quinta-feira, outubro 21, 2004

Booker

The Line of Beauty


Alan Hollinghurst ganhou o Booker Prize com o romance "The Line of Beauty". Espero que sirva para finalmente o traduzirem. Ainda não li, mas li estes e recomendo.

The Swimming Pool Library
"I came home on the last train. Opposite me sat a couple of London Transport maintenance men, one small, fifty, decrepit, the other a severely handsome black of about thirty-five. Heavy canvas bags were tilted against their boots, their overalls open above their vests in the stale heat of the Underground. They were about to start work! I looked at them with a kind of swimming drunken wonder, amazed at the thought of their inverted lives, of how thei occupation depended on our travel, but could only be pursued, I saw it now, when we were not travelling."


The Spell
"The boys glistened and pawed at the ground. They looked like members of some dodgy brainwashing cult.... Alex saw that what he most wanted was happening and groped marvellingly between the different kinds of happiness, the chemicals and the sex. It seemed that happening and happiness were the same, he must remember that, to tell everyone."

The Folding Star"Ivo assumed his scandalous ‘discreet’ manner. ‘I don’t know his name, dear. I just watched him pick him up in here one night. Then the next night he was telling me all about it when the kid comes in again. Couldn’t get enough, Matt said.’ He glanced
both ways along the bar. ‘He had him seven times – and that was just the first night. I was moderately jealous."